How do you view the word community? I have observed that this word has been hijacked by many of our politicians, activists, and even network sitcoms. Sadly it has also been muddled and manipulated in Christian circles.
Here a few quotes to elevate your appreciation for this special word:
- “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” –Henry Ford
- “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” –Dr. Seuss
- “Brands must become architects of community.” –Simon Mainwaring
- “No significant learning can occur without a significant relationship.” –James Comer
- “Shared joy is double joy; shared sorrow is half sorrow.” –Swedish Proverb
- “Don’t smother each other. No one can grow in the shade.” –Leo Buscaglia
- “Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings.” -Miles Franklin
- “While the spirit of neighborliness was important on the frontier because neighbors were so few, it is even more important now because our neighbors are so many.” -Lady Bird Johnson
- “A machine has value only as it produces more than it consumes — so check your value to the community.” -Martin H. Fischer
- “We rise by lifting others.” –Robert Ingersoll
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” –Margaret Mead
In truth, community is a God thing. He brought Eve to Adam. He blessed with the first children. He called out a nation. Then, He launched the New Testament community-the local church. As if that is not enough, He has also promised to assemble a host of angels and redeemed human beings to worship Him for all of eternity! With every atom of my being, I refuse to apologize for this special word or accept a diluted version of it. For in doing so, WE would be missing out on much of what God has made us to desire and need.
He 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
This word community is not just special; it is sacred. Will you join in me in refusing to let anything or anyone stop us from plugging into the robust, relational powerhouse called….church?
What one secular or Scriptural quote has moved you into deeper community?